|Ken Hakuta as "Dr. Fad"|
|Joanne Roberts Productions|
and Tradex Corporation/
WCBS-TV New York
The Dr. Fad Show was a game show that encouraged creativity and inventiveness.
Three children competed in a series of challenges as well as pitch a new invention they created to the audience to win.
Before the game started, Dr. Fad asked the audience who brought cool inventions with him/her. To do this, he would choose a random member out of the studio audience. Then, the audience member who has the invention would demonstrate how it works to everyone.
Afterwards, Jim would choose three contestants out of the audience to start the game by saying, "Come on up!".
Round 1 (Fad Lab Challenge)Edit
The three contestants were faced with creating something at what's called the Fad Lab. They received points according to what position they finished in. Here's how they scored:
- 1st Place - 30 points
- 2nd Place - 20 points
- 3rd Place - 10 points
When a tie has occurred, the combined total of all three point values (60 points) were divided according to what position they were in. Here's how they scored:
- Tie for 1st Place - 25 points (10 for third)
- Tie for 2nd Place - 15 points (30 for first)
- Three Way Tie - 20 points for everybody
Round 2 (Brainstorm)Edit
In the Brainstorm round, each kid presented their own original invention to Dr. Fad & the audience. The audience then made a judgement as to which invention they liked the best by ways of applause for each one. Their applause was kept track of with the use of the Fadometer. Each contestant scored anywhere from 0-70 in increments of five based on how much the audience liked their inventions.
The most any contestant can score is 100 points.
Contestants received prizes for their appearances, but the player with the most points won a trip to Earth Shuttle in EPCOT Center at Walt Disney World.
Two games were played each show with two different sets of contestants.
Dr. Fad! (2x)
Take a walk on the wacky side (Dr. Fad!)
Find some fun that's bona fide! (Dr. Fad!)
For a twist that you never tried, you'll be glad...
...you've met Dr. Fad! (Dr. Fad!)
Tunin’ into the latest craze (Dr. Fad!)
Somethin’ silly, to last for days! (Dr. Fad!)
Gadgets, guaranteed to amaze can be had...
...here with Dr. Fad (Dr. Fad!)
- Future Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? host Greg Lee was the show's audience warm-up man.
- Jim Fyfe has starred in HBO Educational specials besides being the co-host on the show. He has done HBO specials such as "Earth to Kids", a special about keeping the planet clean, and "Buy Me That Too!", a special to teach kids advertisement.
- When Jim called the contestants down from the audience to play, he says "Come on up!". It's the opposite of The Price is Right's famous catchphrase "Come on Down!"
- Joe Raposo was the songwriter and composer for the music on Sesame Street and The Electric Company.
A Full Episode of the Show